Sunday, April 1, 2012

Rio Grande Gorge West Rim Trail run



On Saturday March 31st Teri and I decided to drive up toward Taos and run part of the West Rim Trail along the Rio Grande Gorge. We started at the south end of the trail, just as the road up from Pilar comes out on the rim. We parked, got some good beta from some mountain biker guys and took off running north for 5 1/2 miles. The trail is essentially flat except for a couple of shallow gulleys. Some of the time is is close to the gorge and the scenery is awesome. The Sange de Cristo Mts. to the northeast still have snow and we could see Kachina Peak where the Taos Ski Resort is located. At about mile 10 on the way back I started to fade pretty bad, I kept going, but it was not pretty.

2 comments:

Amelia Hohl said...

I wish I could go on your trail runs with you! We saw these totally amazing trail running shoes in the new Solomon store in the City Creek Center. The shoes are so awesome, but I have to say the women's shoes have cooler colors. Check this out..

http://www.salomon.com/us/segment/trail-running-footwear.html

Keep on running!

Amelia Hohl said...

nice photos! I see you figured it out.